Monday, April 03, 2006

D.A.R.E

In middle school, many if not all of us went through Drug Abuse Resistance Education. It teaches us how drugs can lead to very bad things, that all drugs are bad, and bad people do drugs.

I transferred schools early on in my education so I had the distinct honor to go through D.A.R.E twice. While I found the entire set of lectures rather annoying and one-sided, I did like the part where they brought in all the drugs! For one lesson they brought in the K-9 drug sniffing dog and he had a particular interest in one of our classmates' backpack. This kid was known to have used drugs in school fairly often so I know he was sweating bullets. Oddly enough I think the trooper did not investigate!

D.A.R.E and other programs are readily scoffed at and mocked by students who by that age normally have already tried or are currently using drugs. The other kids who avoid drugs anyway are not really helped by this ridiculous waste of taxes.

I can honestly say I think for the majority of children who go through D.A.R.E. learn about cool new drugs they aren't supposed to use and guess what? When you tell a kid in middle school or high school that they aren't supposed to do something they will do it!

Studies have shown that D.A.R.E. has failed as a program. I'm not sure it is still going on...is it?
If it is, it should be stopped immediately.

No comments: