Monday, April 24, 2006

Verizon FiOS TV and TiVo Compatibility +TiVo Rant

I may be getting Verizon FiOS TV soon. I will keep my TiVo. I have called Verizon a few times to hear for sure that TiVo will work with it. Comcast is way-overpriced. I have a series 2 TiVo and will write later to let you know if all goes well.

Having issues setting up your TiVo with your system? It took me awhile but I figured it out. I've heard a lot of people say they cannot watch a show while recording on TiVo. This is seriously WRONGO.

Actually, I can tape 2 shows and watch another. I have a 2-way splitter - 1 goes to my TV, 1 goes to my TiVo...then to the DVD writer. This means I can record on TiVo, watch a show on TV, and record on a DVD. Even if I didn't have the DVD writer, I could still watch a show on TV and record on TiVo. Of course when you are watching on TV, it is not through the TiVo (won't be able to pause etc).

Verizon is currently scaring people into thinking you needed to pay them $12 more a month for THEIR DVR. This is what the first Tech Guy told me. But 2 others told me a recent (month or so) upgrade to their STB (Set-Top-Box) allows for the simple connection with no loss of functionality with TiVo.

I have a lifetime subscription to TiVo so I can't simply cancel anyway. I'm a dork so I'm going to purchase a 3-way splitter.

This way I can:

1)Record on TiVo
2)Record on VCR
3)Record on DVD
4)Watch a 4th show

All at the same time.

Really though, just getting it because I want to still use the VCR. Trick is to get a low-loss splitter.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This idea is great if u have a larger tier of unscrambled channels. Fios Tv requires a STB to descramble 90% of their lineup. so if u use a splitter, yes u have created 3 usable feeds, but u will only get analog channels. so u wont be able to record anything really over ch 50.