Thursday, May 18, 2006

The Da Vinci Code - Audio Book!

I'm about to indulge in listening to The Da Vinci Code. No one ever said I couldn't listen to it...just not watch the film or read the book - HAH!

Really, in the pathetic state of US news today, entertainment has almost completely merged with real actual news. Because of this, I have to comment on the aforementioned topic.

No, I have not read the book. I have heard about a lot of its contents. I have heard from the author that it is a fictional work and the untruths in the book (or stretching thereof) are proven untruths by our history.

Whether or not the book's author claims the work to be fiction or not, who FRIGGIN' CARES! The same idiot people who will read the book and think that monks actually exist in Catholic tradition and history are the same idiot people that will watch CBS news tonight and know (because Bob S. told them eye-to-eye) that President Bush is the root of all evil (and therefore made your dog keel over and made your car die on its way to work).

The truth is that you cannot help people who believe everything that is told to them. They are helplessly lost and should be left alone. People that can figure most things out for themselves will know things based on mostly factual information (or faith believe it or not).

I do have to mention that when my wife read the book, she mentioned to me something to the affect that Jesus had sexual relations or something with Mary M. I think that's what she said. Anyway, the way she said it was matter-of-factly like a lot of the "details" in the book substantiated the claim. I still have to ask her if she really thinks this....

Anyway, I'm going to listen to my book later today and probably be done in a week or so...then I'll see the movie.

Odd thing about Audio Books - With my first one I finished yesterday - (it was "Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency" by and read by Douglas Adams) I kept trying to figure out if I get more imagery creation from hearing a book or reading it. Two totally different ways to create a book's images in your head. I may read the book to see if there is a difference but the mere fact I already heard it may alter that result. I guess I'll just have to read some books and listen to others and compare, argh.

2 comments:

Josh Jenkins said...

Pretty cool story so far...nearly at chapter 7.

Josh Jenkins said...

Finished it a week or so ago. Pretty good story. It actually surprised me at the end. I thought Brown would leave me hanging. Not too important to actually see the 'Grail' I guess.