Monday, March 13, 2006

Dubai Ports Deal or No Deal? The Unfortunate Reality In America => Anti-Arab & Anti Muslim

(originally written February 22, 2006)

Personally, when I heard the news, I felt that it had already gone through the proper channels and was okay. This is not the Louisiana Purchase. We're not selling off our country. Obviously, if there was ever any infraction as a resultof this sale to the UAE, we'd get "control" back. I think that is the issue now with the entire country - the issue of CONTROL.

Not only are Americans as a whole jumping on this 'feeling' but so are our Representatives. The UAE would technically own the ports, yet the real security control will be in the hands of the Coast Guard. It does not matter who owns the ports...it is up to the US to determine how we screen the ports. Right now, we only screen about 5% of the cargo. Does it matter that (I think) the British own the ports or the UAE? No. There is a process by which this is all approved whereby the potentialbuyers are screened. They fit all the criteria and most likely outbidall the other interested parties. On top of all this (and it has not been given much press coverage), this all has anti-arab/anti-Muslim overtones.

The thought that first comes tomany people's minds is"Oh my God, Arabs are going to own our ports and those crazy sword-wielding Muslims are going to open the floodgates to our borders and allow suicidebombers and bio chemical weapons into our cities!"

This is the main problem I think. The UAE does not have a completely clean track record when it comes to terrorism...many terrorists have come from that area. Guess how many terrorists America produces? Read the news lately? 3 arrested in the heartland of this great nation! We cannot hold an entire country or entity responsible for our narrow-mindedness and this cannot be input into the formula for determining an entity's clearance for making a major purchase in this country. I know I am in the minority on this issue and usually go hard-line Republican butI cannot fathom the excuses for these inquiries. I would definitely come half way and acknowledge the petrified politicians in delaying the sale for 30-45 days or whatever they agreed upon. This is what the American people want - and guess why they're getting it? Even from the Republicans? It's almost election time. BTW, Bush isn't shooting for President anymore...hence his stance.

1 comment:

Josh Jenkins said...

I just have to comment on my first blog post, hehe. I am very sad to see Americans acting so outwardly racist and brain dead on this issue. The issue is not security...it is American's inability to disassociate all Arabs and Muslims with Terrorists. Since we're so obviously scared as a country, lets honor our disgracing the Japanese 'incident' (WWII) by rounding up everyone in the US from the UAE and issuing them "Terrorist Free" badges that must be worn on the outside of their shirts (or whatever those desert-trodding crazies wear).

I am white, I am Republican, I am not brainwashed by one party or the other and I do not vote along with the President on issues.

President Bush is correct that we are effectively slapping the Arab community in the face with our ignorance.

I expect more out of my country but when I see the clear majority of Americans supporting breaking the deal with Dubai Ports, this makes me truly sad. I pity all of you. You didn't just smack the beehive with a stick...you shot it up with a 12-guage shotgun and ran you cowards!

Later,

Josh