Thursday, March 30, 2006

No Smoking

I am so disgusted with the current radical non-smoking legislation wave sweeping the nation. I am all for keeping our children and even annoying co-workers free from having to suck tar into their lungs, but bars and restaurants?!?! These are legitamate and tax-paying, privately-owned establishments that are being jacked by our local governments.

Who goes to a bar and doesn't expect to leave smelling like an ashtray? Give me a frigging break. When I drink, I like to smoke - a lot of people do. I really quit smoking awhile back. Yes, this is all coming from a "reformed smoker" if you will.

Frankly, I'm sick of all this legislation against "Big Tobacco" (the bad guy), telling them it is okay to mail out flyers and such, but also to run campaigns against their product. Completely ridiculous. Eating fatty foods and driving recklessly is also extremely dangerous but we cannot expect McDonald's to put warning labels on their food and Ford to cap speeds on their engines.

Of course we have the argument that smoking affects people around you. Well if a bar or restaurant owner wants to provide a smoke-free environment, they can already do this. But if they want to provide a place where people can smoke, they should be able to do that to.

If you don't want smoke in your face, go to an establishment that doesn't have smokers. Plenty do - and it was their choice!

Butt out.

4 comments:

The Fly said...

A-friggin'-men. And enough with those "Truth" adverts on the telly. I find those stupid adverts far more offensive than tobacco, which I can at least not partake in if I don't want to.

Shannon said...

whatever dude - everyone knows that smoking is the cause of global warming.

Mo said...

I actually had a co-worker tell me that he thought it was okay to let his kid cry in a restaurant because if people can smoke there then they can deal with a crying baby.

I've really enjoyed reading your posts. I've been finding myself nodding in agreement with every post. Keep up the good work. I'm planning to add you to my links list.

Josh Jenkins said...

Volcanos result in more global warming than humans could ever do themselves. Find a real issue, hehe.